“The Greatest Healing Therapy Is Friendship and Love” – Hubert H. Humphrey


Well my babies I am home, and on the road to recovery but let’s take things in order. I just want to say before I dive into this post that I appreciate and am touched by every single well wish,  prayer and kind word sent my way.  I read from a lot of fellow patients how un-supportive people can be of this procedure and I have been lucky not to experience any of that thus far.

I woke up at 5am on Monday to get in the shower and get ready to head out to the hospital. I didn’t sleep well at all because of the liquid diet, I was up having to pee every 45 minutes because I decided to chug water and broth at 11 PM since I wasn’t allowed anything after midnight. I went ahead and weighed myself and on the last day of the  liquid diet I had lost another 3.8 pounds so my weight day of surgery was 292.8.

My parents and I arrived at the hospital at 7:05am and my sister meet us there shortly there after. It took a while for the pre-pre-op nurse to come get me we got to jam out to 90’s hip hop/rb that was coming from the hallway. The RN instructed my family to give us about 15 minutes while I got changed and he got me prepped. He weighed me, gave me two different sized gowns to pick from (I opted for the larger one without even trying the smaller one because I wanted to be sure there wasn’t any sort of gap in the back lol) and some cozy grippy slipper socks.  After I changed he had me pee in a cup to make sure I wasn’t pregnant. When I got back from the bathroom my family was waiting for me and got to stay while he inserted my IV, they did my EKG, blood work, and Heparin injection. The Heparin injection wasn’t nearly as bad as I had been anticipating although it did bruise a little. They put circulation cuffs on my calves and then we waited for Dr. Brown to call to say he was ready for me to be brought up to Pre-Op.

Once we were in pre-op I could only have one person go back with me and since I figured my Mom would probably be a nervous wreck and I didn’t want to cry I opted to take my sister back with me since she’s a nurse and has a much better poker face. Dr Brown came by to see if we had any questions, as well as my OR nurse, the physicians assistant, and then finally my anesthesiologist. He asked me a series of questions and when I said yes to I get really bad motion sickness he gave me some sort of patch behind my ear to help. After that it was time to head back to the OR.

The OR nurse wheeled me back to the operating room and I noticed their were a ton of people in there prepping stuff and that I was freezing so they put a warm blanket on me and pulled me onto the operating table. As they were untying the knots on my gown I heard the anesthesiologist tell me I am going to give you something to make you sleepy. The last things I remember after that was asking them if they listen to music while the operate, and they said Dr. Brown and been listing to Van Morrison on Pandora (to witch I replied I can live with a little Van) I took one last look at the clock as the put the gas mask over my face to see that it was 10:29 and then I slipped into the Mystic.

I had anything but a gentle awakening in recovery. I anticipated this as I don’t handle anesthesia well. I was hot, in pain, had to vomit, and was very agitated. All I remember about the first few minutes being awake was being pissed that I had to vomit and no one was handing me something to get sick into and as I was throwing up either a nurse or the anesthesiologist saying we started your anti nausea meds before you woke up. They weren’t able to do the On-Que pain pump like the wanted to and it turned out they had to do an extra incision because they couldn’t see my intestines from where they went in. I protested the Dilaudid they wanted to give me since the last time I had it I vomited and the nurse was like I don’t know what else we can give you then to which I replied “do what you have to do”. By that point I had kicked off all my blankets and was still hot (not running a fever I just felt hot) so they put a cold wash cloth on my head. The Dilaudid did the trick because after that I was out and woke up an hour or so later to them telling me my room was ready.

Once I got to my room I felt great (this was close to 5pm I think). I sat up chatting with my family and got ice chips. They stuck around until 6:30 pm.  I didn’t have any pain or nausea once I got out of recovery. They had started me on one of those patient controlled pain drips of Fentanyl and I just made sure I hit that button every so often.  At 7pm my night nurse came by and at about 9:30 it was time to walk around the unit before bed.  It wasn’t until I was walking around that night that noticed I should have took my nurses advice on wearing the smaller gown. The gown I put on was so big that it was touching the ground and I could have hid two dwarfs under it without anyone seeing.  I guess I could have went smaller but at least my ass wasn’t hanging out.

The next day went just as easily I told my parents to save themselves the trip since I was doing fine and probably would nap on and off all day. I was expecting visitors that evening so it’s not as if I was going to be lonely. My nurse took out my catheter and started me on Norco pills so we could ween off of the Fentanyl drip. After I got my catheter out I did about 7 laps around the unit and continued to do laps every time I had to pee. By the evening they had taken me off everything I was hooked to and I was able to shower and then sleep much more comfortably  Tuesday night.  My friends that came by couldn’t believe how good I looked and was moving around they were like it’s as if you haven’t had anything done.

I woke up Wednesday morning to Dr Browns smiling face asking me if I was ready to go home today which I was.  My parents arrived at about 10 am and they were shocked to see me up and brushing my teeth.  We came home I napped for a handful of hours and then had another visitor before it was time to get ready for bed.

Thursday was not such a walk in the park however. I woke up around 7 feeling very nauseated and dizzy and decided I was done with the pain killers. I woke up and had some broth and jell-o and then spent the rest of the day sleeping. Anytime I got up I felt dizzy and like I might vomit. My sister came by last night to check on me and took my blood pressure and said everything was ok. I drank a cup of broth over the course of about 40 – 60 minutes and then got in the shower. The fainting feeling was so bad by the time I got out of the shower that I couldn’t decided if I should go to the ER or not. I decided to just go to sleep and see how I felt the next time I got up.

Maybe I was detoxing off the narcotics yesterday but I feel much better today. I still feel a little week and off balance when I get up to walk around but I am actually able to stay awake today where yesterday I could barely stay up long enough to get some water down. I don’t really have much pain except for a little slight pain around my incisions if I sit straight up for too long. Speaking of incisions want to see them? If you don’t close your eyes and scroll down fat and bruising ahead.


Please excuse my lack of belly button in the pick I had to sit up slightly to take this as I was laying down when I did it. I know the bruising looks awful but it’s doesn’t hurt I just bruise kind of easily. I also feel like bruises turn crazy colors about 4 days out. The only one I can feel is that center one that’s a lovely shade of yellow and blue.

I have now officially been on liquids for a week and I can’t tell you how forward I am looking to full liquids where I will finally get something more than broth, sugar free juice, Jell-O and Popsicles. On full liquids we can have soups and anything that can go through a strainer. Last night I had a dream about being on yacht and we free-ed sea turtle and these massive sting rays and we had a party to celebrate. At the celebration in the dream I was chewing on nut mix, and key lime pie and spitting it out lol so needless to say I am ready for something with more flavor. I haven’t gotten on a scale since Monday since it takes at least week or so for all the fluids and gas they pump you full of at the hospital to get out of your system.

Well that’s it for now. It’s back to my full time job of consuming liquids one ounce at a time and to schedule my follow up appointment with Dr. Brown.



15 thoughts on ““The Greatest Healing Therapy Is Friendship and Love” – Hubert H. Humphrey

  1. Wishing you a speedy recovery. My word of advise is don’t get in the habit of weighing yourself every day. So many people do and it’s not a good idea because they get upset from normal fluctuations and think they are failing. Good job with avoiding the scale so far! Sending plenty of healing thoughts your way.

    Liked by 1 person

    • Thank you. I have told myself the only time I am going to allow myself to weigh in more than once a week is going to be during this first month. Simply because I want to see out of curiosity how quickly you lose in that first month. I know it can be a slippery slope however so there’s a good possibility I will stick with my weekly weigh ins.


  2. Glad you’re home and recovering. I had a similar experience waking up from the anesthesia and was also in pain. Isn’t it interesting how we dream about food and healthy ones at that? 🙂 Make sure you are walking at least 30 minutes daily.


    • Thank you. I honestly think the pain came from the fact that I vomited within the first few moments that I was awake. I have had a bit of constant dizziness until yesterday so I hadn’t been walking for long periods of time but I am going to start this evening if it’s not to insanely hot.


      • I vomited upon waking as well, I had no idea I would respond to the anesthesia in that way. It really made my pain worse than it should have been. At first I just walked around the house it was too hot outside, so don’t do too much. Now I do early morning or evening until I get back to work. Can’t wait to see the rest of your journey.


    • You and me both! I just can’t wait to get my strength back. I feel like a feather could kick my ass most the time lol. I start protein shakes tomorrow so hopefully it will help.


  3. Thank you for sharing the experience so thoroughly – I am 14 days from surgery and I can’t tell you how it helps to get an idea of what it might be like beyond all the science!
    I’m sorry you had to endure such a trial with the anesthesia and wish you a much more peaceful recovery. I look forward to following your blog!


    • Thank you Darcy, I hope to show that it’s not scary, and not everyone has a bunch of crazy complication (knock on wood). Luckily the roughest part was the first 10 or 15 minutes out of recovery. Once they regulated my pain and nausea it was smooth sailing from their. Best wishes, just follow your doctors orders and walk as much as you can. Its hard to believe I am 7 days away from being a month post op.

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s